Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Sound of Music

Turns out that the castle where we will be staying at (Schloss Leopoldskron) was used as the backdrop to the 1965 musical "The Sound of Music." When the filming started in 1964 the castle had already been owned by the Salzburg Seminar for a couple of years. Back then, it wasn't open to the public.

Turns out that the forum I posted on the BMCC's MySpace page didn't get much feedback. No one seems to know what the Salzburg Seminar is. Hm. I'll have to make sure to write an article for the school paper.

We finally got a mass e-mail from Mr. Mars of OSA informing us about preperations and the first date for one of our workshops: March 2. I scanned over the e-mails in the to field and didn't recognize any. I checked on MySpace to see if anyone had a profile, and now I've met some of my fellow travellers online at least. They seem pretty excited, too.

Our responsibilities for now include checking to see if we need an entry permit. Turns out that if your passport is from a country that is part of the Schengen Agreement, no visa is needed (that includes Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden).

Oh yeah, the most important update: we actually know when we are leaving now: April 1-9. Nothing much else is new as of now, I'm just waiting for our first orientation. I make a packing list if I get too anxious and check international carry-on restrictions. I was hoping not to check my luggage again after I lost it once traveling wir air-tran, but I suspect I'll have to this time since I won't be able to bring any shampoo or toothpaste with me unless I'm willing to check my potentially dangerous liquids.

Off to the laundromat. I wonder what the weather will be like in Salzburg in April. I can't wait.

No comments: